Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Introduction

Hello everyone!  My name is Amy.  I am a student, a teacher, and a librarian.  I earned my undergraduate degree in English in 2001 and began teaching high school English shortly thereafter.  Over the years, I taught at a wide variety of schools, both public and private, in areas that differed greatly in terms of socioeconomic status and community expectations.

In 2013, I left the classroom to begin work in a public library while pursuing my masters of library science degree.  In the fall of 2015, I was able to meld my two great loves, the library and the classroom, by accepting a position as a school librarian at an elementary school while simultaneously completing my final year of MLS coursework.

The materials that you will find on this blog grew out of a project for one of courses, S672, a seminar in Children's and Young Adult Literature.  I was assigned to select a topic of personal interest connecting to youth literature and become an "amateur expert" on the topic by conducting a personal inquiry project.  Focus was to be on the process rather than the product, with the dual goals being an understanding of the inquiry cycle and the chosen topic.

For my project, I wanted to do something that would be extremely applicable to my job at the elementary school.  I wanted to do something that would better equip me to help the students and the teachers.

No comments:

Post a Comment